Sunday, January 8, 2012

Word to the Wise : Fill the Frame

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see." 
-John Burroughs

I LOVE my clients. I love the mama's that I get to work with and I LOVE seeing pictures of the families on Facebook from Christmas, birthday parties, and everyday life. Honestly, I wish I could just follow all of my clients around for weeks and take pictures for them, and we can laugh and talk. Because my clients become my friends.

When I was first starting out, I noticed that some of my clients even had nicer cameras than me. THAT was awkward. But when they noticed, they would ask me, "How come my pictures don't look like yours?" Which was KIND OF a compliment...I think. So I thought I would maybe write some of my favorite "Tips & Tricks" that I have learned so that you are able to have great pictures too!!!

Let's get real. I am NOT a landscape photographer. I could not rock out photographing a mountain to save my life. Trees and Mountains and Valleys do NOT make me excited to wake up in the morning. Flowers, that's a different story...Mostly because bouquets of flowers involves weddings. AND I LOVE weddings. So...All that to say, I am a PEOPLE photographer. I LOVE people. Like if kissing people on the forehead was socially acceptable, I would walk around the grocery store bestowing forehead kisses on almost everyone. (Except for the creepsters.)

When photographing people, I love to get REAL close. Up in their "grill" so that the picture doesn't feel like they are miles away and we are shouting to have a conversation. I like pictures that I am close enough to whisper. Except for not, because whispering freaks me out. So this is my FIRST tip for all of you with a camera, an iPhone, or a mental picture photo album...

FILL THE FRAME

The Frame = The Picture

When you are close to your "subject" it allows you to have conversation with them and hopefully get genuine reactions such as laughing or smiling. And it leaves out extra space that can be distracting or unnecessary. 

Get CLOSE! Let me show you some examples.
















These last two are Mr. Dawson Attwood. He has grown SO much! (The bottom picture was taken on my iPhone.)


Life is best close-up. 

See more of my work at www.kelseylynnephotography.com. Become a fan of my work on FACEBOOK. Give me a call so we can chat, 253.569.7600.




1 comment:

Tammy Rouse said...

Oooooh... maybe you should call this Wonka vision? (Or do you have NO IDEA what I am talking about?! ...Because you have STILL not watched that movie? haha) These are awesome! Real life squishy cuteness faces caught by technology! Ahhh. Makes me wanna WHISPER compliments in your ear... Oh! But that might make me a "creepster"... bahaha I LOVE YOU, Kels! More simply AMAZING work. So not surprised. :)